Mold can be terrifying to deal with if you’re a homeowner. A mold infestation can cause your family to experience health problems, and mold can be pretty unsightly as well. When mold is in your home, it can weaken the foundation of the house in places such as the ceiling, floor and walls. Mold can be a serious issue if you’re in the process of selling your home, since it can affect the value of your property.
If you know you have mold, or even if you suspect that you do, it’s time to call the professionals. A study from the University of Arizona in 2003 revealed that 100 percent of homes actually have mold, even if it’s not the dangerous kind!
It’s also important to get a clear understanding of what mold actually is. It’s not an animal or plant. Mold is a fungus, and it’s actually a part of our everyday lives in very small amounts. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention confirms that there’s a little bit of mold everywhere, so you can’t avoid it completely. However, when mold grows too much, it can lead to a number of health issues and structural problems.
Thoroughly inspecting your home for mold and taking precautionary measures to keep mold from returning are ideal treatment methods. Tasks like adding a fan to your basement to keep damp surfaces from developing mold and making sure that kitchen and bathroom faucets aren’t dripping can help to make your home mold-free.
Even after you’ve gotten mold removal treatments, it’s still important to keep an eye out for regrowth. Check the areas in your house that tend to collect moisture quickly, like the basement and around the windows. Where there’s excess water, there’s bound to be mold. Securing the caulk around your water fixtures can also keep mold from growing. The National Association of Home Buyers states that in only 48 hours, mold can develop in your home if there’s a moist area that is exposed to warm temperatures. Since it doesn’t take much time for mold to show up, it’s vital that you keep all the rooms in your home well ventilated and as dry as possible.
Air testing and air scrubbing are also ideal treatments for ensuring that your home is free of harmful mold. While it’s technically not possible to remove all mold from the house, air testing lets you know whether the mold levels inside of your home are as safe as the levels outside the house.
Once the air in the house is as clean as possible, you may find that you and your family are in better health. Asthma can be exacerbated by mold, and some of your loved ones may develop allergies as a result of being exposed to mold on a constant basis. Sinus congestion and overall breathing difficulties can occur from mold exposure, and you and your loved ones may not get relief until the mold in your house is significantly reduced. So the sooner you can bring the mold levels in your home down, the better. Call the mold removal experts to handle mold inspection, remediation and removal needs in Washington DC Metro Area.