Water damage may very well be nicknamed, ‘the home/property owner’s worst nightmare’, because just a little bit of H20, present in the wrong place, and at the wrong time, has the capacity to literally demolish a once ideal piece of property, down to its very foundation!
There is nothing pleasant about water damage! While the experience itself can be rather daunting, the aftermath can range anywhere from inconvenient to straight out devastating!
It goes without saying that preventing water damage from occurring in the first place, is unequivocally cheaper than paying for repairs! So, in this regard, the old adage, ‘Prevention is better than cure’, actually ‘holds water,’……no pun intended! Knowledge is power, they say, and they are right! In order to minimize any chance of water damage to your home or property, it is imperative that at bare minimum, you can identify as many potential causes as possible, and remain proactive!
Contrary to popular belief, there are numerous causes of water damage that extend well beyond ‘inclement weather’ as the sole culprit! You may not have any control over the weather and what it chooses to do, however you do have control over some of the other causes. The following three ‘easily overlooked’ categories for example, have the potential to ultimately alleviate any potential disaster impact, if you are vigilant and proactive.
- Proper Drainage
- Make it a priority to have your leaf and debris filled gutters cleaned frequently, especially before rain, flood and storm season.
- Ensure that your downspouts are directed approximately 5-10 feet away from your home or property.
- Repair Leaks
- Inspect your roof routinely and promptly repair or replace cracked or missing shingles.
- Pay attention to your water bill. Unexplainable spikes in your bill may indicate a concealed leak. If so, look for it and have it fixed as soon as you can.
- Disconnect garden hoses when freeze warnings are issued.
- Make it a point to fix dripping pipes and faucets.
- Working Sump Pumps
- Ensure that you have at least one working sump pump at any point in time and have it tested routinely, especially before rain and storm seasons.
- Ensure that you have a battery operated back up sump pump.
Three words? Secondary Water Damage! One word? Mold! Water damage & mold infestation often go hand in hand, just like ‘Peanut Butter & Jelly’ or ‘Macaroni & Cheese’!
The true force to be reckoned with however, is mold because it does not only have the potential to compromise the structural integrity of your home/property via its foundation, but it also has major health implications for you and your loved ones. Not to mention that an infestation of the fungus can be an extremely exorbitant problem to remediate.
The Bottom Line
Once a home or property sustains water damage of any magnitude, it is important to act as quickly as possible to prevent secondary water damage from setting in. For many, the immense job of cleaning up a water damaged home/property is just not something they want to or should have to handle, therefore hiring a water damage restoration company potentially alleviates the impact of the catastrophe.
At Triangle Legacy, we provide professional Flood & Water Damage Restoration services to both residential and commercial clients alike, and as an added bonus, we also provide mold remediation & removal services.
With integrity, reliability, professionalism, expertise & passion as our trademarks, our primary goal is to ensure that you are 100% satisfied!
For a free consultation & estimate relative to all your flood/water damage restoration needs, please contact us at (301) 523-9419 or Toll Free at 1-800-830-3324.